international hub: UK & EUROPE

Within the Europe region, Chartered Accountants Worldwide has three member institutes – ICAEW and ICAS representing the UK and Chartered Accountants Ireland representing Ireland.

MEMBER OrganisationS

Mobility & Opportunities

There are many great reasons to work in the UK or Europe, and plenty of opportunities for Chartered Accountants. We have collated some useful information and links to assist you in starting to think about working in the UK or Europe.

Working in the UK

In order to work in the UK you must hold either an applicable EU passport or relevant working visa. For detailed and up to date information on working in the UK, please visit the UK government website

Below are links to other useful information sources:

• Use this tool to check if you can work in the UK and to find out which documents you need to produce to prove you’re eligible to work in the UK:

• Use this link to find out if you are eligible to apply to settle in the UK:

• You may need a visa to come to the UK to study or work. Use this link to check if you need a visa:

Work in an EU country*

If you are a UK citizen or EU national, you have the right to work in any country in the European Economic Area (EEA) without a work permit. The EEA includes:
• all countries in the European Union (EU)
• Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
Your rights

You’ll have the same rights as nationals of the country you’re working in when it comes to:

• working conditions
• pay
• social security (e.g. benefits)

For UK and EU nationals wanting to work in an EEA country, more support and advice can be found on the European Union website, under ‘Learning and Working in Europe’:

It is advisable to contact your home embassy within the country you intend to work in to find further information about relocating to that country.

Work in nON-EU country*

You will need a work permit to work in most non-EU countries if you are a UK citizen or non-national. In most cases, you’ll need a job offer from your chosen country so that you can get a visa to move there.

It is advisable to contact your home embassy within the country you want to work in to find further information and obtain any necessary documentation. Also remember to check the employment regulations of the country in which you intend to work.


Looking for career opportunities in the UK or Europe?
ICAEW and Chartered Accountants Ireland have job listings at the links below:

* Please note that further information will be provided on working in Europe following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, as soon as it becomes available.